Thursday 12 December 2013

Thoughts on Catching Fire

So I was lazing around wondering what I should do today when I realized that I haven’t even written a feelings blog on Catching Fire.

I didn’t even announce that I was going.

And I’ve seen it twice, now.

This is just horrific. I can’t believe it. I feel as though I’ve betrayed Suzanne Collins by going to see Catching Fire and then fangirling about it and not allowing the whole world to see how excited I was about it so that they can laugh at me because when it comes to The Hunger Games I am just that ridiculous.

I’m not even joking. I bought the special edition DVD of the first movie, and it came with a mockingjay pin and I freaked out right there in Musica about it and everybody thought I was crazy, and I’ve had the pin stuck onto my handbag ever since. It’s that bad.

But back to Catching Fire…

There are not enough words to express my feelings throughout that movie. It was just epic. I mean, I had high expectations already because the first movie was so good, but I was still shocked at just how good the acting, editing and directing was. It was just… beautiful.

They managed to stick to the book as much as possible. As a person who (almost) always reads the book before the movie, I do not tolerate directors who cut out huge chunks of the novel just to make the movie “better.”

The only problems that have arisen in The Hunger Games related to this is the fact that they cut out the mayor’s daughter and how she gave Katniss the mockingjay pin (although it was really sweet and meaningful how Prim gave it back to her etc. in the movie) and how Peeta didn’t have his leg amputated in the film, therefore he could actually swim. But that was it, I think.

Also, let me just add that whoever was in charge of casting for the two films is literally one of the most talented person on the face of this earth. Obviously the characters were not who I’d imagined them as in my head, but they were so close that it actually scared me. Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth were incredible. And Finnick… He was almost exactly like how I imagined him. Everybody was cast so well and I think that really helped to make the movies ten times better than they already were.

Think about it. If Kristen Stewart had been cast as Katniss, I would’ve sued. I literally would’ve sued the casting crew. I loved the Twilight books, but then the movies were… so ridiculous in comparison. They played a large part in ruining the entire series for me (the whole “team Jacob”/”team Edward” thing also made my blood sizzle… I mean seriously can you just calm down she ends up with the vampire so stop complaining the book has already been published.)

I can’t believe I just brought up Twilight in this review. Forgive me for my sins.

Oh, and I'm going to be a total teenage girl here and say that HOLY HELL KATNISS' WEDDING DRESS WAS SOOO BEAUTIFUL ASDFGHJKL CAN YOU NOT AND THE WAY IT LIT ON FIRE WAS EVEN BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE CAN I PLEASE JUST HAVE THAT DRESS FOR MY WEDDING AT THE SAME TIME MARRY JOSH HUTCHERSON IN THAT WHITE SUIT GOD BLESS.


Anyway, Catching Fire was absolutely fantastic, and it just… it made me so happy. I absolutely loved it. And to those of you who have not read the books, and are currently complaining that it ends on a cliffhanger, suck it up, make yourself some tea and get ready to sit in a chair for about 4 days while you read the entire series start to finish with no breaks in between.

And to those of you who think that The Hunger Games is about teenagers with eating disorders, you are dead to me.

That also goes for the people who call the Catching Fire “The Hunger Games 2.” That’s not what it’s called. Do you call New Moon “Twilight 2”? Didn’t think so. Get your act together.


And if you haven’t seen the movie OR read the books… I just can’t be with you. I’m sorry. Go live on… Mars or something. You are a disgrace to the human race.

2 comments:

  1. Bwahaha - I actually laughed out loud (a few times). A great post Amy! By two-thirds of the way through I was thinking "wow, you've actually convinced me to engage in the series" & by the end realised I have to at least watch the movies ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I've inspired (forced… maybe that's the word) at least one person! You won't regret it, but be warned, the whole concept behind the series is… gruesome. Once (and if) you can get around that, it's easier to see how amazing the series is!

      Enjoy!

      - Amy

      Delete