Wednesday 18 December 2013

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Date finished: 17 December 2013

Rating: 5*

Series: Covenant, #1



Armentrout has done it again.

Half-Blood was riveting. Armentrout’s take on Greek mythology was refreshing and interesting, and as per usual, she made me laugh out loud more than a few times.

I’ve always enjoyed Armentrout’s writing style. As a person writing about teenagers, for teenagers, she really hits the nail on the head when writing about typical teenager-ish things, and that helps tremendously with connecting with her audience. She doesn’t pretend to know what goes on inside of our heads, because she already knows exactly what’s going on.

Also, her talent for making up extremely hot, unusual boys who are totally off-limits is pretty incredible. First Daemon, and now Aiden… my friends and I have had several heated arguments over who would get whom if we were suddenly thrown into the worlds of the Luxen and the Pure-/Half-bloods. And none of them have ended well, let me just tell you.

My only criticism of Half-Blood was that the storyline was a bit too predictable. But that’s not such a big deal. If anything, it boosts the reader’s ego a little because by the end of the novel you’ve had so many, “I so knew that was going to happen,” moments that you feel like a freaking prophetess.

And as usual, there were so many quotes that I’ve highlighted and will be using in everyday life. My best was probably: “Are you lost, Lea? This isn’t where they’re handing out free pregnancy tests.”



I highly recommend this series for anybody who enjoys Greek Mythology-based novels like Abandon and Antigoddess – or even the Percy Jackson series. It’s a very different take on the typical “demi-god” theme, and on the whole a thrilling and riveting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment