Friday 13 December 2013

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Date Finished: 13 December 2013

Rating: 4*

Series: The White Rabbit Chronicles, #1



Okay, I SO didn’t pin myself as the type of girl that would ever read those books that are basically classics that have been given a supernatural twist. You know, “Romeo and Juliet and Vampires,” “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”… the works. Let alone any type of book about zombies.

So maybe I also thought that I didn’t like ghost books, and then I read Anna Dressed in Blood and it was amazing… so maybe my judgment is the tiniest bit flawed when it comes to gory/bloody books.

Nonetheless, Alice in Zombieland was incredible. And considering I went in totally expecting to find it disgusting and weird… it just shows how fantastic it really was.

Okay so maybe it was a little gross and weird, considering it’s about people who hunt creatures whose sole purpose in life – or non-life… whatever – is to devour your brains. But still, it was pretty excellently written for a book about the undead.

I think the number one reason I loved Alice in Zombieland was the characters. And the stuff they said. For example, I have convinced myself that I am Alice, she is me, therefore I will now forever say “craptastic” and other things Alice would say.

The amount of times I laughed out loud at Kat’s comments almost topped my laughing record at Luc from the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. And believe me, that is a large amount of laughter.

One of my favourites: “We can’t really spy on them if they’re not spying on us, now can we?”

Or even: “Girl, he wants to dip you in his Frosted Flakes and have you for breakfast. That’s his favourite cereal, by the way.”

Needless to say, I loved it. Everything was so well expressed, and her personal style of writing was so witty yet enthralling that it made me completely forget about all of my other problems, and jerk every time I was forced to exit Zombieland and re-enter the real world. I think I half-expected to find a zombie standing by my doorway every time I forced myself to put the book down to eat or sleep or something that’s unfortunately mandatory for survival.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go and devour the next book, because I’m currently dying from the suspense. It took a rather large amount of self-control to NOT go straight to Amazon.com and buy the next book, but rather to quickly type out a craptastic review and force myself to endure the torment of waiting.


“TASTE…”

1 comment:

  1. Ummm sorry did we forget to mention that I recommended this book to you so you knew it would be awesome and that you are sorry you didn't listen to me earlier? Miss Bouwer I never lie.

    ReplyDelete