Saturday 5 October 2013

The Falconer by Elizabeth May

Date Finished: 4 October 2013

Rating: 5*


View on Goodreads.


Excuse me for a few moments while I express my feelings.

All I know is that one moment I was on the first page, and then this happened:



And then I was confused. Then angry. Then I just freaked out.

How can it be OVER? What just happened? It can’t just END! But Aileana… And Kieran… What does this mean?!

Sorry. I’m done now. I think.

That was… Amazing. There are just no words to describe how incredible The Falconer was. It’s made my list. The writing, the story, the characters… Everything was just perfect.

Except the ending. No. I refuse to accept that it’s over. How can it be over? It only just came out! Why do I do this to myself? Do I have so little self-control that I just have to read everything RIGHT NOW, without even CONSIDERING how long I’ll have to wait for the next book to come out? Waiting for the next book is going to kill me.

I don’t think I’ve been this upset since I finished Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout, which brings me to my next point.

This is all her fault. If I hadn’t seen that Jennifer L Armentrout rated The Falconer five stars on Goodreads, I wouldn’t even be in this situation. I guess I figured that if Jennifer L. Armentrout writes five-star-worthy books, this one must be… beyond mind-blowing. Which it was. Mind officially blown.

I think that the thing I loved most about this book was the way it was so atypical of teen supernatural books. It was the perfect blend of fantasy, action and suspense, with the added bonus of woman empowerment and minus the soppy, overdone love triangle. Not to mention the fact that there was not even the slightest mention of vampires or werewolves. I loved the way that the storyline was utterly individual, and that the author didn’t hesitate to remind the reader that supernatural creatures are most definitely NOT glamorous or “airy-fairy” – mind the pun – and are in fact a threat to humans and must be stopped.

Of course there’s always the odd rebellious bad boy supernatural that the heroine has to fall in love with – I mean come on, you have to capture us teenage girls’ attention somehow, right? And Kieran was perfect. If you weren’t convinced to read The Falconer by anything else I’ve just said, read it for him.

I seriously recommend this book to all my fellow teenage girls. It was one of the best supernatural/paranormal/fantasy books I’ve read all year. Scratch that. It was one of the best young adult books I’ve ever read. All I can say is this: just wait for the title of the next book to be released, otherwise you’ll be in the same state as me – drowning in misery and thinking of ways to kidnap the author and torture her into writing the next book within the next few days. *cough, cough* I mean patiently waiting for the next book to come out and avoiding any trouble or lawsuits whatsoever…

Or, you know, you could just read it now anyway. It was definitely worth it.



Feel free to comment below and subscribe to get notified very time I post a new blog or review!

No comments:

Post a Comment