Monday 30 September 2013

The Nerd List: September 2013


My Nerd List for the month of September.

To all the Nerd List newbies, this is basically just a list of the things I’ve been mildly obsessing over this month: all the books, movies and music that I highly recommend. Hope you enjoy!

Let me also just apologise in advance for the lack of stuff I’ve actually done in September. I think I’ve literally picked up two books, and finished one. Just give me a break, okay? It was back to school, and I was on camp for a week, then I went to hospital on the long weekend, so I spent two days writhing in pain and sadly wasn’t inspired to bury my nose in a book while being poked and prodded with needles. And yes, I am going to use my kidney stone and day-and-a-half in hospital as an excuse until it becomes physically impossible for me to refer to it any more because it completely irrelevant. Let me just reiterate that I nearly died.


Books


Books I've read this month:


Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by Robin LaFevres (I'm getting to a review... I'm sorry... The link will be here when I've posted it)

And that's it. I've literally only read one book this month. The world must be ending.


Book of the month



Seeing as I only finished one… Dark Triumph by Robin La Fevres. It was good, but if I’d read another book, it probably wouldn’t have won. On average it was about three stars, but it did get me through half of the ten-hour bus ride to camp, so I guess it deserves some credit.

Book quote of the month


I'm going to quote Jennifer L. Armentrout again, because I haven't laughed as hard as I did in Origin for a long time. Luc is by far my favourite character in terms of how much I quote him at school with my friends. So here are two of his best moments to conpensate for my lack of reading this month: 

"Seriously? Can't you two bro-mance it out?"

"Me and Katy look adorkable in extraterrestrial highway shirts. You would just look stupid. You can thank me later."

Book boy of the month



I’m NOT going to pick a boy from the Dark Triumph series, because they’re all pretty old and have weird beards, and are not my idea of dreamy. So I’m going to go with Patch from the Hush, Hush series, because he is my number one go-to-guy in terms of fallen angels and sexy bad boys. If you haven’t read the Hush, Hush series, I highly recommend it, and you can read my review of the first book here, but beware, some may contain spoilers…

View Hush, Hush on Goodreads (probably a more reliable way of telling you what the book is about without giving away the whole storyline… Sorry… The series is incredible, though, and I got really excited when I read them – and still get excited now – hence the spoilers.)

Moments


Fangirl moment of the month

Nickelback is touring in South Africa! And I got tickets! Wheee! *cue squeals of delight and epic dancing*

The moment I found out they were touring almost caused me to be grounded, because apparently "people all the way in Japan were covering their ears" I was screaming so loud. And the moment I found out my mother had managed to get me tickets... Lets just say it was not pretty or pleasant.

Read my fangirl session here.

Facepalm moment of the month

Somehow (don’t ask me how) I managed to acquire a kidney stone. And spent two days in hospital. (Okay, so technically it was one and a half days, but I’m going to exaggerate because I am a teenage girl, and that’s what we do.)

You can read my blog about my experience in hospital here.

Music


Song of the month

Don’t judge me, but Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus has been stuck in my head for the whole month. I am not saying that I support her life decisions or actions in any way, and just for the record I have watched the music video, and flat out refuse to watch it again. I just like the song. It’s catchy and has a chorus that you can dance around to in your room like a crazy person.

A couple of other songs I’m loving at the moment: I Feel Like Dancin’ – All Time Low, It’s Time – Imagine Dragons, Try Hard – 5 Seconds of Summer, Hung Up – Hot Chelle Rae, Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana, Rock N Roll – Avril Lavigne, Curious – Emblem3, Really Don’t Care – Demi Lovato feat. Cher Lloyd.

Oh, and Wake Me Up When September Ends by Greenday was my anthem. I swear I was singing it internally every time I went to bed, and again when my alarm went off in the morning and I rolled under the pillow... Every day...

Lyric of the month


"I'm lost. I find myself while I search. Now I use music to pray with no words. When you lose what you love, remember to stay strong. Look out the window and remember life goes on."
- Curious, Emblem3

Other


Movie of the month


The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. Duh.

It was amazing. Everything I wanted and more. I just... I loved it so much. 

I highly recommend it. If you haven't seen it, do so immediately.

P.S. Jamie Campbell Bower is MINE. We even share a common pronunciation of our surnames. Therefore I have placed him in a state of eternal dibs.

Read my “review”/fangirl session after seeing it here.

Tweet of the month




Amen. I would be stick-figure skinny. With abs. And a thigh gap.


Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment below on what you thought!

3 comments:

  1. Song - oh so wrong!
    Tweet - luvd it!
    Tx Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool to hear you enjoying some legends ;) (love Greenday! ... although I know your reference was a little tongue-in-cheek here ;) and I always listen with "ears wide open" if you know what I mean)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The song is quite catchy, I like it!

    ReplyDelete