Friday, 25 October 2013

Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran


Date Finished: 21 October 2013

Rating: 5*


Before I begin, I just want to point out that it took me over a month to finish this book. Literally. I was reading it on the bus on the way home from camp. I have witnesses, who had to remind me of this fact when I brought it to school on Monday, still only having read a hundred pages.

I’m losing my touch.

Okay. Now we’re all just going to ignore that I ever said that and disguise our gasps of horror so that I can carry on with this review. If it doesn’t take me a month to write it *sob*.

Anyway… I'll keep it short and sweet for once.

Michele Moran wrote a stunningly realistic re-telling of the French Revolution. Told from the perspective of Marie, a young woman practicing as a wax modeler under the influence of her uncle, it artfully draws the reader into a web of nail-biting suspense and excitement. Moran’s writing style is incredibly effective in the way that it tugged me so far into Marie’s world that I had to take a deep breath every time I re-entered reality to remind myself that I didn’t belong inside the novel. When Marie got employed as the king’s sister’s wax modeling tutor, I shared her honor, and when her friends got involved in the revolution, I shared her mixture of anxiety and horror. When the novel finished, I felt both satisfied and empty, as though I had lost a part of myself to Marie’s world, but I am not complaining.

Overall incredibly moving, and yet without soppiness and awful clich├ęs, Madame Tussaud’s was empowering and inspirational, and has definitely made my list of highly recommended historical fiction novels.


Feel free to comment below, and subscribe to get a notification every time I post a new blog or review!

1 comment: