Friday 25 October 2013

Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran


Date Finished: 21 October 2013

Rating: 5*


Before I begin, I just want to point out that it took me over a month to finish this book. Literally. I was reading it on the bus on the way home from camp. I have witnesses, who had to remind me of this fact when I brought it to school on Monday, still only having read a hundred pages.

I’m losing my touch.

Okay. Now we’re all just going to ignore that I ever said that and disguise our gasps of horror so that I can carry on with this review. If it doesn’t take me a month to write it *sob*.

Anyway… I'll keep it short and sweet for once.

Michele Moran wrote a stunningly realistic re-telling of the French Revolution. Told from the perspective of Marie, a young woman practicing as a wax modeler under the influence of her uncle, it artfully draws the reader into a web of nail-biting suspense and excitement. Moran’s writing style is incredibly effective in the way that it tugged me so far into Marie’s world that I had to take a deep breath every time I re-entered reality to remind myself that I didn’t belong inside the novel. When Marie got employed as the king’s sister’s wax modeling tutor, I shared her honor, and when her friends got involved in the revolution, I shared her mixture of anxiety and horror. When the novel finished, I felt both satisfied and empty, as though I had lost a part of myself to Marie’s world, but I am not complaining.

Overall incredibly moving, and yet without soppiness and awful clichés, Madame Tussaud’s was empowering and inspirational, and has definitely made my list of highly recommended historical fiction novels.


Feel free to comment below, and subscribe to get a notification every time I post a new blog or review!

1 comment: