Saturday 31 August 2013

The Nerd List: August 2013


My second ever Nerd List! Hope you guys enjoy this list of stuff I’ve been mildly obsessing over this month!

See my Nerd List from last month.

Books


Books I’ve read this month

Book of the month


I’ve read a lot of great books this month, but I have to say that the best one was definitely The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It was heartwarming and tragic, and it made me cry. It’s my highest recommendation at the moment, and I insist that you read it, no matter how old you are.

Book quote of the month


May I just say that there are so many new phrases that I have picked up from Jennifer L. Armentrout’s Lux series. “Holy crapola,” “holy crap on a cracker,” “adorkable,” and the timeless: “Oh sweet holy alien babies everywhere…” After reading Origin, I’ve highlighted countless phrases that I intend on using in real life 24/7, but I think this one was my favourite:

“Sporks are only used in the most dire situations.”

It speaks the truth.

Book boy of the month


I can’t believe I even had to think about this, because the winner is obviously Daemon Black from the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I mean, come on. He’s a ridiculously hot alien with superpowers who lives next door. Not to mention he makes his very first appearance shirtless. But this doesn’t even mean anything until you read his engagement speech (alright, alright I know I promised no spoilers but come on!). And I swear right now if anybody ever quoted that speech to me I would marry him anytime, anywhere with no excuses. But if it was Daemon Black, it would probably be a happier and easier marriage. Just saying.


Moments


Fangirl moment of the month

Jennifer L. Armentrout’s fourth book in the Lux series, Origin, came out two days before Pittacus Lore’s fourth book in the Lorien Legacies series. The house was in an uproar, especially just after I had finished Origin and still had to wait a day and a half for The Fall of Five, and when I had finished that… let’s just say it was not pretty. I still have nothing to read, and am sitting in my own private hellhole. Not to mention my parents are thinking of getting me checked for some massive mental disorder that causes me to freak out when books end on cliffhangers.

Facepalm moment of the month


Okay, so I haven’t even watched the VMAs yet, seeing as I was reading, and we’re currently on holiday at the South Coast, where WiFi is MIA (I have to go to Mugg and Bean every time I want to blog or go on Tumblr or anything, which is EXCRUCIATINGLY ANNOYING) but I’m not living under a rock, and still have my cellphone and Twitter (thank , so I have seen the pictures of Miley Cyrus’… performance. Wow. I am so not watching that. Can I just point out (as so many other people have) that just a couple of years ago I was watching this girl on DISNEY CHANNEL telling her dad that she wanted to preserve her current life, so she’d wear a wig as a popstar as not to let fame get to her head, and now she’s twerking against a thirty-something-year-old man in front of millions of people. Come on, Miley. Not cool.


Music


Song of the month


Ever After by Marianas Trench has been on repeat on my iPod pretty much the whole month. I just love the meaningful lyrics, the tune, and especially the incredible harmonies.

Album of the month


This is a really hard decision to make. I am so incredibly torn, because Emblem3’s Nothing To Lose was absolutely my favorite album of the month – and I know I bought it last month, but it was at the END of last month so it wasn’t as though I had awfully long to listen to it – until I bought The Great Gatsby Soundtrack. But I guess I mentioned Emblem3’s album in my last Nerd List, so I’ll go with The Great Gatsby Soundtrack this month.

But you still have to go buy Emblem3’s album because it is amazing and catchy… okay I’ll shut up about Emblem3 now.

The Great Gatsby Soundtrack is absolutely incredible. Each song on the album is so unique, in the sense that they have all been created to combine elements of music from the 1920s with elements of music from the 2000s. And the result is… wow. My parents don’t really agree, because they got all excited that I was listening to old jazz music, until Fergie popped up and it all blew up into house music. They were not amused, especially by about the hundredth time that the song was playing. They’re pretty much ready to smash the CD and my iPod and send me to boarding school.

Lyric of the month


“A little party never killed nobody.” 
A Little Party Never Killed Nobody (All We Got), Fergie, Q-Tip, Goonrock


Other


Movie of the month


Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
Directed by: Chris Columbus
Based on the novels by Rick Riordaan 

I just saw Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters with my sister, and it was excellent. I haven’t read the Percy Jackson series, so I haven’t really got anything to compare the films to, but I really enjoyed them. They follow the adventures of Percy Jackson (duh), the halfblood son of Poseidon and a human. The action-packed series revolves around Greek Mythology, not to mention that it stars Logan Lerman as Percy...

Tweet of the month



This is legitimately my life. Especially during the holidays. 


Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment below on what you thought!

2 comments:

  1. You are truly 'adorkable'!

    P.S. What is a Spork?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Song of the month definitely 'Hopeless Wanderer' Mumford and Sons.

    Album of the month - anything but Great Gatsby!
    :)

    ReplyDelete