Thursday 26 February 2015

Existential Crisis Mode: Activated

It’s only five hours into half-term break and I’m already having my first mental breakdown of the long weekend. Honestly, I expected so much more from myself – I thought my over-worked mind would at least have the decency to wait until around 2 a.m. tomorrow morning before I was hit with the “Oh God I’m only one sixth of the way through matric and I’m already dying” avalanche of thoughts.

It wasn’t even that I had a huge workload that has set off my latest “let’s just remember how small I am in the huge scheme of things” crisis. It’s that I’m stuck in the middle of Magaliesburg, armed with only my laptop, a useless cellphone and my worn copy of Tess of the d’Urbervilles (which I swore I would finish this weekend if it killed me). So what’s the issue, you ask? What could possibly have triggered this “crisis” of which you speak? And what, pray tell, makes it so extreme that it inspired a blog?

Well, firstly I’m so not-in-the-right-frame-of-mind that it took me four tries to figure out whether to use “prey” or “pray” in that last sentence. Secondly, I’ve just answered the last question I asked myself first – something highly illogical considering we still haven’t figured out why I’m having this major crisis. Thirdly, did the previous point even make sense? I can’t tell. Fourthly, wait… is fourthly even a word?

DO YOU SEE THE PROBLEM WITH MY BRAIN AT THIS PRESENT MOMENT?

Anyway. Let’s just take a few steps back because I think I’ve thoroughly confused myself and gotten lost along a path I wasn’t even planning on taking – oh, hold up. That’s the whole issue in the first place isn’t it?

So back to the beginning: My latest and greatest “crisis” was triggered by the entirely self-inflicted thought that I would award myself with an entire afternoon to do anything I wanted. I promised myself that I would not let myself touch a single piece of schoolwork until tomorrow morning, and that I would not even think about that English film essay just waiting to be planned and written and scrapped and rewritten and cried over several times.

This wonderfully intelligent and well-meant plan didn’t work out so well when I discovered, after fifteen whole minutes of indulging in thoughts of what I could possibly do, that I had absolutely zero motivation to do anything.

So basically, I was bored. Simple. Except – BAM – add a few hormones, a body that hasn’t slept properly in just over a month, and a brain that’s still trying to figure out what “holiday” really means… Instant existential crisis.

Oh my word I don’t even know what I should do with myself for a couple of hours in one afternoon how am I supposed to decide what to do with myself after I finish school IF I even finish school wait didn’t I promise myself I wouldn’t even think about school today except that when I try not to think about school I can’t even think about anything because that’s how centered my life is on an institution that brings me nothing but pain and stress and heartache but also an extremely overpriced education that might just be useful to me in the future but not really because it’s a tradition kept in place by a society that tells us to sit in a building for twelve years and then get a job and pay for our children to sit in a building for twelve years so that they can get a job and pay for their children to sit in a building for twelve years when we could pretty much all live in harmony and farm our own food and have no form of currency and just barter for the things we need but America would never allow that because Capitalism is destroying all the hope in the world and is Communism even such a bad thing maybe I should move to China but then how am I going to pay to get there because I still have to finish my twelfth year in a building to get a job to receive income to pay taxes to fund the same institutions that teach us we have to go through this stupid process in the first place…

And so on and so forth.

Cue me lying on the floor listening to sad music and looking down on my life in utter misery.

But now I’m here writing this, which ultimately solved the problem of my boredom in the first place, so I suppose we can consider my existential crisis for the day officially over.

I just realized that ultimately this entire blog was totally without a point.

(Much like my life.)

(Oh my word, Amy, calm down life isn’t even that bad – you were bored, get over it.)

(I get the feeling that after I’ve posted this I’m just going to be stuck in the original situation again. Better start scouring the hotel for things to read that won’t send me into a state of mild depression.)


(…I am so going to regret posting this in the morning. Eh… Consider this blog as a glimpse into the mind of a 21st century teenager when faced with the unavoidable and incomprehensive concept of having nothing to do. It’s pitiful.)

No comments:

Post a Comment