Saturday 31 January 2015

The Nerd List - January 2015

It's already almost February. How did that even happen? This is not good. Somebody tell the world to stop spinning, please - I'd like to get off.

Anyway, on with the list of things that are somehow still keeping me sane...

Books


Books I’ve Read:
The Glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato (Goodreads)
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (Goodreads | my review)
Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Goodreads | my review)
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (Goodreads)
A Widow for One Year by John Irving (Goodreads)

Book of the month


Considering I rated all the books I read this month from four to five stars, I feel like by naming one of them the Book of the Month I’m disregarding all the others’ genius. Regardless, John Irving is purely phenomenal, and although A Widow for One Year was mildly disturbing and extremely weird, I absolutely loved it. (Although I did only give it four stars on Goodreads… Let me just note here that I have different “requirements” as such for adult fiction and YA fiction – adult fiction novels that I rate as five-star generally make me change my entire worldview, whereas a five-star YA fiction book will usually be one that made me jump around with excitement or cry or experience other extreme emotions that make me uncomfortable.)

Character of the month


I’m going to have to call this one a tie, because I’ve just sat debating with myself for fifteen minutes over whether Sarah J. Maas’s Celeana was a better protagonist than Marissa Meyer’s Cinder. They are both incredible, and honestly I would recommend reading both the Throne of Glass series and the Lunar Chronicles series just to be able to witness them in action. Then you can have the thrilling internal debate of Cyborg versus Assassin. You’re welcome.

Quote of the month


“I hate women like that. They’re so desperate for the attention of men that they’d willingly betray and harm members of their own sex. And we claim men cannot think with their brains! At least men are direct about it.”
- Celeana Sardothien, Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas


Moments

  

Fangirl moment of the month


Thank you to All Time Low for causing me heart failure and a glimpse of the afterlife with their Beyonce-like dropping of a new single just as school started. I swear I stopped breathing for about a minute before hastily clicking the link to watch the music video, which gave me heart failure as well, but for reasons separate from my excitement (plot-twist of the year nominee… I nearly threw my laptop right through the roof I got such a fright). But at least I had a really good song to listen to while I cried about the horrors of beginning my last year of school.

Facepalm moment of the month


Speaking of school… I thought I would be able to ease into my last year with at least a hint of grace and dignity, but that was wrenched out of my grip as soon as I entered through the gate for my last first day of school ever. BAM – “You know the school’s fashion show next week? You’re in it.” BAM – “Oh, and here are a few test dates to up your adrenaline levels a bit.” BAM – “Sorry, doesn’t look like you’ll be sleeping much this year… but don’t worry because at least you just had a holiday – your last one ever.” BAM-CRASH-FIZZLE – “OH, RIGHT AND REMEMBER THAT AMIDST ALL THESE TESTS AND EXAMS YOU HAVE A MATRIC DANCE IN THREE WEEKS BYE.”

(I have exactly a week until my matric dance and to say that I’m excited freaking out about it is a major understatement.)

(I'm still writing the date as "2013" how am I supposed to juggle a matric dance and passing the term and somehow succeed in living through both.)

(Oh, and there's never any electricity, so that's an added bonus. I just love doing my homework by candlelight - it reminds me that the only romantic relationship I'm currently in is with a maths sum. Thanks, Eskom.)


Music


Album of the month


American Beauty / American Psycho by Fall Out Boy has so many great tracks on it and it makes me want to run around my neighborhood dancing and throwing rocks at all the people I hate. Luckily I’m so swamped with schoolwork that it will be impossible to find the time to organize this highly tempting activity.

Song of the month



I already mentioned it earlier, but Something’s Gotta Give by All Time Low is amazing and you need to go listen to it right now.

Lyric of the month


“Oh, the castle’s under siege, but the sign outside says ‘Leave Me Alone.’”

- Panic! At The Disco, Always

2 comments:

  1. Irving...'mildly disturbing and extremely weird'. Sounds like every John Irving book I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete