Monday 1 September 2014

The Nerd List - August 2014

Sorry this is late. I was stuck in the zone where WiFi goes to die – the South Coast… no one there has even heard of 3G – so I'm uploading this as I arrive home. Enjoy the latest list of stuff that I’ve been mildly obsessing over!

Books


Books I’ve Read:

[Note: I actually finished The Three in July, but totally forgot to add it to my Nerd List, and in all honesty it would have won because it was absolutely fantastic. Highly recommended.]

Book of the month


Oooohh, this one is so difficult. I read the two conclusions to two of my favourite series: City of Heavenly Fire from The Mortal Instruments series, and Opposition from the Lux series. I loved both, and both made me cry. But let’s be honest, J. L. A. holds the keys to my heart in terms of books that can make me laugh, cry, throw pillows at the wall, and scream until my lungs want to burst. So, without a doubt, my best read of the month was Opposition.

Character of the month


This award has to go to Luc from Opposition. It just has to. He may be my favourite character of all time. He’s sarcastic, funny, and typically can’t be bothered with anything. Plus, he’s an Origin, the super cool product of a Hybrid and a Luxen in the Lux series, which basically means he has the coolest superpowers ever. And to round it off with a sparkly pink bow, his little comments and anecdotes make my life, such as ‘doin’ my thing like a chicken wing’ and ‘okie dokie smokie’.

Quote of the month


Hmmm… I think it’s a toss-up between:

“She tipped her head back and started laughing, and I started picturing people twerking – everyone in the limo. Quiet Luxen Dude. Sadi. All of them bent over, butts in the air, looking like damn fools.”
- Jennifer L. Armentrout, Opposition.

and,

“’Heroes aren’t always the ones who win,’ she said. ‘They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes.’”
- Cassandra Clare, City of Heavenly Fire

Moments


Fangirl moment of the month


It’s been a fairly relaxing month, given that I’ve been on holiday for the majority of it. However, I think I can share that when I discovered that I had actually finished not one, not two, but SEVEN books in one month, I was very impressed with myself. Considering I probably hadn’t even read seven books this year up until a couple of weeks ago, I suppose we can safely say that I’ve escaped from my very own Dark Ages of reading. Hopefully my success doesn’t disintegrate once I’ve started school again…

Facepalm moment of the month


If I thought I looked unattractive before, evidently I was wrong. Let’s just say I look about 900 times worse when I’m having freezing cold water poured over my head for the trending ALS Ice Bucket Challenge… Nevertheless, I survived the ordeal, but recommend rather donating to the ALS foundation than pouring water over your head.

Music


Album of the month


Ed Sheeran’s + is perfection. I don’t know why I put off buying it for so long, but I love it with every fiber of my being. The soft, lilting melodies are incredible, while simultaneously unbelievably catchy. It’s keeping me sane while I try not to focus on the fact that I have a week until I’m thrown back into the dark, dank prison cells of education.

Song of the month



Despite the calm, slightly alternative atmosphere I created in my room while softly playing + over and over again, it’s evidently impossible to escape from pop music’s influence. But instead of being annoyed by Taylor Swift’s latest socially acceptable single, Shake It Off, I had it stuck in my head for about 72 hours straight, and by the time I got it out, I loved it.

Luckily, I was saved from losing my typical teenager rebel attitude when Nickelback released their new single: Edge of a Revolution. So I proclaim a tie.

Lyric of the month


“This is the dawning of the rest of our lives… On holiday.”
- Green Day, Holiday

I thought Holiday was an appropriate choice, both for the simple fact that I am actually on holiday (to take the lyrics extremely literally), and for the reason that they seem to relate perfectly to America’s continuous fall from grace in the eyes of the world… (“Hatts off to the president gasmask. Bombs away is your punishment. […] ‘Bang bang’ goes the broken record,” etc.)

Other


Movie of the month


I saw ‘Lucy’ last night, and while it left me a little confused at the end, it was still pretty good. I would have placed the latest Step Up film above it, except for the fact that I was so incredibly annoyed with the directors for getting rid of Emily, the main dancer from the last movie.




Latest Obsession


Dance Moms. I’m not even ashamed to be obsessed with a reality TV show, because it’s actually just the funniest, most stressful programme on television since Glee. It also makes me feel like a total failure as a person because there are seven-year-olds doing backflips across the stage when I’m sitting here on my laptop wondering what I should eat next…


Thanks for reading!


A reminder that I’m now on Twitter, so if you want to get random updates for whenever I post a blog or review, or quick ratings of books I’ve just finished and am too lazy to review, follow me: @Blog_ATA.

No comments:

Post a Comment