Tuesday 9 April 2013

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Date Finished: 17 December 2012

Series: The Lux, #2

Rating: 5*


Wow. I dare say that I think this book was even better than the first. Jennifer L. Armentrout has outdone herself once again and taken my breath away.

I have not been able to put this series down. Over the past two days, I have not been able to do anything without thinking of Obsidian and Onyx. In fact, my family has actually been begging me to come downstairs and watch TV, which is extremely out of character for my parents. I love the way that Armentrout has been able to create a storyline that makes me want to climb into the book and live there. The way that she manages to continue building the tension between Daemon and Katy throughout the second book in the series is astounding. I also loved the way she had Daemon show both his sweeter and darker sides in the space of seconds.


The storyline of Onyx was definitely more busy and exciting than Obsidian. I found that Armentrout wasted no more time than necessary on the introduction and build-up before throwing in climax after climax. Often, I find that the second book in a series is more boring than the first, focusing more on the heroin's feelings about her relationship with the hero rather than actually gripping the reader's attention. However, this was most definitely not true with Onyx. I loved the way that the climaxes overlapped slightly, creating a busy and exciting storyline without making the reader feel overwhelmed. There was always the main problem of finding Dawson and Bethany, which all of the other important aspects built up to.


I also love the way that Daemon and Katy's relationship actually IS complicated. Often the author creates a simple relationship between characters, but the characters are always moaning about how complicated and extraordinary their relationship is. In this case, Daemon and Katy are practically always at each others' throats and hardly ever get along, even though they're madly in love with each other.


I can't wait to read the next one, but, being the amazing friend that I am, I have promised to wait for SOMEONE (no names mentioned... you know who you are...) to get signal on her Kindle so that she can read it at the same time as me. Honestly, I don't think I'll be able to wait, even if it is only another twenty minutes until I am allowed to download it.

No comments:

Post a Comment