Tuesday 9 April 2013

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Date Finished: 17 December 2012

Series: The Lux, #1

Rating: 5*


When I started Obsidian, I really wasn't expecting much. Judging by the blurb and the cover (okay, I know that judging a book by its cover is like, the biggest literary crime EVER, but don't pretend you've never done it), Obsidian looked like just an average, cheesy teenage romance about a girl whose life is boring and normal until she meets a drop dead gorgeous, supernatural bad-ass who completely turns her world upside down and they fall madly in love. Needless to say, I was wrong, otherwise I would be giving this book one star instead of the five it deserves.

Okay, maybe it is a little like that. Sure, it's not COMPLETELY cheesy, and it is most definitely not average, but the part about the desperate girl (Katy) and the super hot, supernatural bad-ass (Daemon - who is an alien) is definitely a large part of the storyline. To be perfectly honest, when I started reading Obsidian, I couldn't help but compare it to Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (which is definitely very high up on my list of Best Books Ever, along with The Hunger Games). You know, the whole situation where the girl's father is recently dead and then she meets a tall, dark and mysterious stranger who totally pisses her off, but you know that they're gonna end up together by the end of the book. The comparison stopped when I got to about the tenth page. By that stage I was so completely engrossed in the book, nobody in my family dared disturb me for fear of getting their heads ripped off, if I even bothered to register their existence.

Seriously, this book is awesome. The storyline is basically about a girl, Katy, who moves with her single mom to a small town which she didn't even know existed. The only other people who live on her street are twins Dee and Daemon. She instantly befriends the talkative and bubbly Dee, while Daemon both pisses her off and intrigues her from the moment she meets him. She soon discovers that Dee and Daemon are far from human and this puts both her and the twins in danger.

After finishing Obsidian and reading the first half of Onyx (the second book in the series), I can not only say that I now wish my neighbour was a super hot alien (actually no, my neighbour should be REPLACED with a super hot alien - if you knew my neighbour, you'd understand), but also that I am now obsessed with Jennifer L. Armentrout's writing. She created possibly the best sexy male book character ever. Not only does Daemon make his first appearance in all of his shirtless glory, he is also a bad-ass alien with awesome super powers, which he uses to save Katy countless times.


This is a must-read for all the girls (and maybe guys) out there who love supernatural books, but hate the whole vampire theme that just seems to be getting worse and worse since Twilight (seriously, am I the only one who's sick of seeing shelves lined with vampire books? No? Okay, whatever...)


No comments:

Post a Comment