Tuesday 31 March 2015

The Nerd List - March 2015

It’s Easter this week. I hope you’re all in chocolate-eating mode right now.

Before I start:


 

Beware the woes of matric.

(I’ve also started applying to universities and I’m pretty sure the number of existential crises that have occurred this month outweigh those I’ve been through in my entire life combined.)

Books


Books I’ve Read:
Tess of the D’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (Goodreads)
Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (Goodreads)
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (Goodreads | my review)

Book of the month


Tess of the D’Urbervilles broke my heart. I’ve never felt so betrayed in my entire life. Obviously, though, it’s incredible.

Character of the month


I read Equal Rites after my friend read my rant on feminism and decided that I needed some soul food in the form of a short children’s book that’s actually not a children’s book, but an in depth, wildly hilarious commentary on society. Granny was specifically phenomenal, and if I could advocate a fictional speaker for women’s rights, I’d probably choose her.

Quote of the month

“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”


Moments



Fangirl moment of the month


I may or may not have gone to see One Direction the night before writing my music exam. I also may or may not have screamed louder than the twelve-year-old next to me when they came on. It may or may not have been slightly embarrassing. (Just kidding – I really didn’t care.)

Facepalm moment of the month


See above. If I hadn’t been so busy trying to get my oh-so-cool sister to sing along with me to every single song then I would’ve felt guilty for not being ashamed.

Please note: never will we ever speak of this again.


Music


Album of the month


The sound of my tears hitting the ground because I maxed out my iTunes allowance.

(Also All Time Low’s Future Hearts is being released painfully slowly.)

Song of the month






Lyric of the month


“Wisdom’s a gift, but you’d trade it for youth
Age is an honour – it’s still not the truth.”

- Vampire Weekend, Step

No comments:

Post a Comment